I thought it would be good to give you an overview of the mission.
We are assigned 196 full time missionaries. For a variety of reasons the actual number fluctuates around that - usually lower. That number, called mission complement, is broken down as follows:
12 sister missionaries
22 Spanish speaking elders
6 senior missionaries (3 couples)
In addition, there are 8 other missionaries (4 couples) on church service missions. This means that they live locally and come in for 20 to 30 hours per week. Their time is more flexible and they serve in the day and then go home to be parents and grandparents for the rest of the time. They help in mission office with records, finance, coordinate housing, vehicles and other matters.
The Church is very strong and mature here. There are ten stakes within the mission boundaries and over 33,000 members in about 90 wards and branches. The stakes are (from the north):
Bellingham Mount Vernon
Everett Lynnwood Shoreline Bothell Kirkland Redland
Our mission is part of the North America Northwest Area. This comprises stakes and missions in
Most of the members in the mission are part of the
The Washington Everett Mission is a smaller mission, taking in the northwest corner of the state of
- On the north: the Canadian border
- On the east: the Whatcom, Skagit and Snohomish county boundaries - which is also the watershed line for the Cascade mountain range
- On the west: a border out in the water between US and Vancouver Island, Canada and the Washington Olympic Peninsula
- On the south: essentially a line along the southern edge of the communities of Shoreline, Kirkland and Redmond
The mission is comprised of the following counties: Whatcom,
For any purist, there is a little tip of a peninsula off of the mainland portion of
The mission takes its name from
It is 90 miles from our house to the furthest missionaries in
The economy is fairly diverse in the area: high tech, aeronautics, agriculture, shipping, military, and logging.
There are four other missions in Washington - three missions along the coast and two inland.
- Seattle: just south of us
- Tacoma: south of Seattle - taking in Tacoma, the Olympic Peninsula and south to Oregon
- Spokane: the northern 1/2 of the state from the Cascades an into part of Idaho
- Kennewick: the southern 1/2 of the state from about Portland to Idaho. It also includes part of northeastern Oregon.